people need people
We are, by nature relationship orientated. We need to feel connected,
loved and supported.
As a volunteer lifeline telephone counsellor I took many a call from
people who just needed to talk. Needed someone to listen. Someone to connect with.
Loneliness is heartbreaking, but it doesn't have to be that way. So the message
here is simple and sincere. Reach out. People can't read minds.
If you know someone you think may be feeling alone, I encourage you to reach out. It's a beautiful gift to know someone cared enough to reach out.
- Send a message, post a card, write a letter,
- Send some flowers,
- Arrange a coffee date
- Don't be afraid to ask them if they need help
If you’re feeling alone allow me to encourage you to reach out too. There are so many groups; support groups, social groups, sport groups of all fitness levels, interest and hobby groups, business and personal. All happy to welcome newcomers with love and enthusiasm.
Find something that interests you, lights you up and inspires you. Something that makes you feel alive and happy.
Remember it always starts with you.
Below is a list of possible places to look;
- Facebook is full of every interest and group you can image. Accounts are free to set up, then just type in the search bar your interest!
- Toastmasters is a brilliant way to meet people and learn communication skills
- Your local club, sports club or fitness centre.
- Meet up is another brilliant website full of groups that meet and share a
common interest and passion. This is where I host my own 'Women's Walk & Talk' group.
- Penpalworld is another great website to connect with people across the globe.
- Take a course at a local Colleague, Tafe or University. Languages, cooking,
car maintenance. There are literally thousands!
- Google something that interest you. For e.g. Bonsai Association, Remote Control Planes, Coin Collectors, Cake Decorating, dance classes, yoga & meditation, parenting classes, single mums/dads and find out where they meet.
- Volunteer. They say "The best way to forget your problems is to help someone else"
- Or simply reach out and connect with an old friend just to say hello.
The list is endless.
If your having a tough time and need specific assistance regarding health issues, disabilities, addiction and need to connect with professionals and people going through a similar experience - please check out my reference and resource page for some helpful links.
No one should ever have to feel alone in this day and age.
So I encourage
you to get out there and connect. Share and feel the love that is available to us all.
People Need People